Sunday, June 6, 2010

June 06 - Cafes, Museums, and a Little Red Cardigan

I'm in Augusta, GA, for business for the whole month of June. I'm not going to lie and say I'm 100% thrilled with this - I miss MJ and my kitties (Buffy, and my two adorable foster cats, Buster and Bonzai). But still, there's fun to be had, exploring a new city solo.

Today I started off at the New Moon Cafe for breakfast. While I admit to a fairly serious Starbucks addiction, my preference is indie coffee shops and I always look for them when I travel.  The New Moon Cafe is in Augusta's not-quite-convincing downtown. Still, there was tons of parking outside, and the New Moon Cafe had tasty croissants, the best white hot chocolate I've had since my SoCal coffee shop closed down (Sad face) and free wi-fi. I will definitely be heading back there during this month (the fact that I wrote 5,000 more words of my novel there didn't hurt my impression, either).

Then I headed over to the Morris Museum of Art.  It's on the Riverwalk, which is very scenic - it was too hot to walk much (96 degrees) when I was exploring, but I might go back for an early morning run next weekend. Look how pretty it is:
 Loved the museum, which is quite small but lovely nonetheless. One of the docents told me all about some of my favorite pieces in the museum, which was a fun conversation. Unfortunately, most of my photos came out grainy, but here's one portrait that I think turned out decently. The portraits are always my favorites - I love seeing the faces from the past, and the way the artistic styles change dependent on culture and the standard of beauty for that time period.
Yep, I'm a sucker for anything with a cat.

After I finished at the museum, I headed over to the local movie theater. I've never been to a movie by myself before, and the idea was faintly uncomfortable, so I had to. I saw Letters to Juliet. It was a pretty predictable romantic movie, but I enjoyed it. I'm also going to have to see Easy A when it comes out; that's one of the few trailers for an allegedly funny movie that's ever actually gotten an audible laugh from me.


Also, as part of my "Let's pretend we have a style... or style at all... and maybe we will!" campaign, I took a photo of today's outfit.

Red cardigan from New York and Company, Black Dot Lace Cami from White House Black Market, cropped off-brand jeans, and red flip-flops from White House Black Market (doesn't it seem like they're cheating?)  I don't like wearing a 3/4 sleeve cardigan with cropped pants, but there's only so much I can pack/shop on one trip.  Outfits will only be showcased on days off from work, as on weekdays I pretty much am in my work uniform or pajamas only.

So that... was my day today. Now I'm off to run on the treadmill, swim in the hotel pool, and try to do some yoga (I'm not patient enough for yoga).

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fun day. I have never had white hot chocolate, but it sounds good. I am not fond of going to movies by myself, but I do it if I really want to see something. The museum looks very interesting to me. I like the portrait you photographed.

    ReplyDelete