Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My new direction

So my thing is not being domestic. I love to cook and bake (and so does Handsome, so we eat far, far too well). But beyond that, I've managed life so far without sorting colors from whites, dusting, hanging picture frames or knowing how to thread a bobbin. When you move every six months, as I had pretty much from college until a few months ago, decorating seems especially futile.

Except now that MJ and I own our first house, I am overcome with a sudden nesting bug. Not only do I want to paint stuff and make my own art, but I enjoy things that I really shouldn't: cleaning my beautiful kitchen, for instance, or tidying up the laundry room. If I didn't know better, I'd think my body had been inhabited by an alien from the planet Martha Stewart.

This desire to nest - and to fill my pretty house with pretty furniture, since my shabby college hand-me-downs are a little lacking in chic and there are several empty rooms - is in contrast with my other desire. The one to save money for a new car, vacations, future business ventures, and a happy retirement.

So I'm going to be writing a bit about my domestic adventures (I bought my first pattern! I'm going to try to make an apron! I don't know how to sew!). I'll also be writing about my journey towards frugality.

Hopefully you enjoy reading this blog -- which I'm hoping will satisfy my goals of being domestic, frugal and entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment